Pin It!

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Concerts-Two in a Week-Delightful




This last week brought four most consummate performers to our town and I saw them all.

Pint & Dale

Last Saturday evening, Sally Greenberg hosted a House Concert featuring Pint and Dale. They sing nautical songs and sea shanties and tell interesting stories of life as the daughter of a sea captain and the many years that passed while a new Hurdy-gurdy was being built for her. Stories of life on the road and the arcane and esoteric audiences to whom they play. They're a marvelous evening out and hadn't played Sally's in five years. Too long to go between the harmonies of White Horses.

Felicia played Hurdy Gurdy, violin
and several penny whistles during our concert.
(undated photo)



 performing one of my favorite tunes





Hurdy Gurdy-a bowed stringed instrument that produces music by turning a crank.
It sounds unlike any other instrument I have ever heard.


Martyn Joseph & Willy Porter


Last night Ormond and I went to Freight and Salvage to see my most beloved performer ever, Martyn Joseph, open for an unfamiliar to me act-Willy Porter. We had a rollicking good time. This is the eighth or ninth time I have seen Martyn and he continues to impress me and audiences all around the world with his style and his philanthropic doings. He has started a Foundation-Let Yourself Trust, to further spread good works in his homeland and around the world. A small donation will go a long way. Ten British Pounds is less than an American twenty so Go !~! I did.

photo from F&S website, thank you F&S.
Martyn signs his album and songbook for me at an earlier concert
at Freight when they were on San Pablo Ave

How Did We End Up Here?


As most of you may know I lost my only biological sister very suddenly and unexpectedly in July 2008. For months after I was unable to listen to anything except a CD I had of her singing two songs in Russian. She was a musician, a fine one with a voice that reached high into the clouds.

When I was able to move on, I stuck Martyn's latest CD in the player and heard the "Whoever It was Who Brought Me Here Will Have to Take Me Home" album over and over and over for longer than a year, maybe even two. The songs on that album speak to me in a way no other ever has.

The opening chorus starts "Love is soaring symphonies and dance band serenades." A few lines later "Love can't be diminished now by the death or body blows".

It got easier to drive while crying as the years passed. 

Martyn sealed his place in my life, my heart, my CD player nearly fifteen years ago; last night's performance again cemented and reaffirmed my earlier decision. 

Teri (right) and I at the Deerfield Beach High Band Reunion in 2005.
 This glorious week together was our last visit.
The light over her head was prescient.



No comments:

Post a Comment