Pin It!

Monday, March 17, 2014

Fourteen Years Ago I Came for Fireworks

St Patrick's Day and the Trip Cross Country on Amtrak



I came cross country on Amtrak with a small entourage I picked up within the first hour of leaving Orlando. The four of us women stuck together all the way across the southern route-eating and talking story.
When I got to Berkeley I hoped for St Patty's Day Fireworks--no such luck I discovered.

Amtrak-in one of their own photos.



Arriving in Emeryville at 11pm on Friday Mar 17, 2000, my daughter and husband met me and my six containers of household stuff. We went home... to a studio apartment in Berkeley in which he and I shared the main room, our daughter bunked in the closet sized kitchen and for privacy we took a shower in the only room with a door. I arrived with Six Containers full of stuff. Where I thought it would fit is beyond me...


Iris and Ormond next to our home in Berkeley-ready for a cycle ride.



That studio apt was bigger than most of the houseboats we had lived on in Key West and we were grateful to be in the heart of the Gourmet Ghetto. Amazingly good food abounded, albeit expensive.


The view from our apartment next to Vegi Food on Vine at Shattuck.
Looking up Vine St toward Peet's Coffee.


Three years later we bought a share in the Atchison Village Mutual Home Association and moved into our own place with yard and off-street parking.


Hope to spend the rest of my life here.

We're closing in on 10,000 pageviews. Thank you so much for stopping by; with literally millions of blogs to choose from; thanks for making mine one of yours.

Sincerely,

Lynda

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you took a giant leap of faith moving to California. You must have ended up in the right place You sound very happy where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love OO's Pepe's tee shirt. Now that's a blast from the past.

    ReplyDelete